Reports To: Head Athletic Trainer
Job Schedule: Full-time
FLSA Classification: Salary, exempt
The Assistant Athletic Trainer will assist in the medical supervision and care of athletes and in monitoring the safety of equipment and procedures for the RGV Vipers and RGV FC Toros teams; to provide administrative support. Responsible for assisting with the medical and injury related needs of athletes.
- Oversees assigned staff.
- Evaluates athletic related injuries and determines appropriate subsequent care or referral.
- Directs medical supervision of team practices and events.
- Implements a medical emergency action plan in the event of a medical emergency.
- Documents injuries, treatments and rehabilitation.
- Maintains medical records.
- Develops appropriate flexibility and strength programs for injury prevention.
- Develops progressive rehabilitation programs post-injury safe return to activity.
- Oversees and administers daily treatment of student athletes including stretching, massage and therapeutic modalities.
- Coordinates physical exam process and drug testing procedures.
- Travels with sports team for medical coverage and student care on the road.
- Supervises and instructs student trainers in the internship program.
- Counsels athletes on injury, health, safety and nutrition topics.
- Assists with pre and post practice and event preparation of athletes and sport venue.
- Schedules and transports injured athletes to appropriate medical facilities.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Detail-oriented, analytical, attentive and motivating.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, decision making, and communication skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Master’s degree in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Athletic Training, or Sports Medicine from an accredited institution of higher education.
- One (1) year experience in the Sports Medicine field or applicable medical field setting involving care, prevention, evaluation, treatment or rehabilitation of injuries.
- Knowledge of NCAA and University athletic policies and procedures
- NATA BOC Certification or eligible for certification exam.
- Texas License as an Athletic Trainer through Texas Department of Health or be eligible for exam.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for long hours; use hands to handle files, type and operate office machines; to talk and hear on the telephone.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
*We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.*