Job Title: Director of Marketing
Reports To: Executive/Ownership
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
The Director of Marketing is responsible for the creation and implementation of detailed promotional and marketing campaigns for Bert Ogden Arena, H-E-B Park, the RGV Vipers, RGV FC Toros, and the DHR Health Sports & Wellness Center.
This individual will oversee all functions of the marketing department, including the development and execution of strategies designed to increase demand for sponsorships, premium inventory, general ticket sales, and ancillary revenue. This position will work closely with event promoters, media, and community leaders.
- Manages the supervision of staff within the Marketing Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned
- Ensures the development, implementation and reconciliation of comprehensive marketing and advertising/sponsorship opportunities for venues, teams, and shows / events
- Garners earned media via public relations for venues, teams, and shows / events via press releases, media advisories, press conferences, interviews, etc.
- Creates and manages marketing plans to support all lines of business and clients, both internal and external
- Manages, supervises and coordinates all activities within the Marketing department to reach budget goals and generate revenue for the venues, teams, and shows / events
- Ensures the image of the brand(s) is properly represented across all platforms and mediums (print, digital/social, broadcast, OOH, etc)
- Manages the work and performance of the various units within the department to ensure all assets are leveraged correctly in the promotion of venue, teams, shows, and events.
- Responsible for the management of all in-house marketing / advertising outlets / mediums, including but not limited to: websites, social media pages / channels, signage, texting platforms, digital boards, and grassroots marketing efforts.
- Creates and approves all media creative and scripts; responsible for the creative direction of all campaigns, working with legal on sensitive materials /posts and any contracts
- Plans, negotiates, and executes all paid media for the company
- Orders all promotional assets, items, and materials, ensuring brand standards are met
- Stays on top of marketing trends and practices to apply to venue, team, and shows marketing plans in order to acquire and engage fans, build brand affinity, and drive ticket sales
- Responsible for establishing department budget and marketing event budgets, following all processes related to the purchase, payment and reporting of all approved expenses.
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with local media, community leaders, and promoters to promote events and connect with the community
- Works with Corporate Sales Department to fulfill all promotional partnerships for sponsors, providing measurable results
- Assists Booking Director with research to determine feasibility of certain shows / events, providing support to ensure the booking of the venue
- Assists President/CEO with the evaluation and effectiveness of key marketing activities in terms of sales/traffic results, consumer response, publicity value, tenant success and community support
- Works with sports teams to develop ideas that generate sales and increase engagement for games
- Reviews game scripts, ensuring required assets from key stakeholders are included
- Creates and executes annual marketing plan for each team and entity
- Oversees fan development initiatives including team and community events
- Responsible for measuring, monitoring, and reporting key performance indicators (KPIs) to ownership and key stakeholders on a weekly, monthly, and yearly basis
- Exceptional organizational skills required.
- Must be able to oversee complex projects and schedules, maintain deadlines, work within budgets, with the ability to set priorities and manage several projects simultaneously required
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to synthesize and accurately present relevant information
- Work independently to develop new special events from conceptualization to execution
- Must have the ability to manage in a fast-paced, diverse environment with focus on Client and Guest Services, entrepreneurship and building & growing a strong business is essential
- Ability to successfully manage a workload that balances long-range planning with the unanticipated daily demands required of the Marketing Department.
- Must work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule, and produce accurate, measurable results
- Handle conflicts, make decisions and exercise proper action during high tension and stressful situations, remaining flexible and adjusting to situations as they occur.
- Maintain a professional, cooperative working relationship with City officials, clients, employees, promoters, patrons, and others encountered in the course of employment
- Requires ability to work flexible and extended hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, in addition to normal business hours
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, Booking Software, Google Workspace, website and graphic design programs with ability to learn and master new applications
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Marketing, Communications or Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of five (5) years marketing experience in Arena/Entertainment/Sports Management
- Minimum of three (3) years in a supervisory role
- Strong understanding of advertising, media planning/buying and media ratings
- Knowledge of event marketing and grassroots strategies
- Solid comprehension of market research, revenue-generating programs, database management and digital marketing plans
- The employee is regularly required to sit for long hours; use hands to handle files, type and operate office machines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
*We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. *