Job Title: Media Relations Intern
Department: Game Operations
Reports To: Media Relations Manager
Job Schedule: PRN – As needed
FLSA Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
The Rio Grande Valley Vipers and Toros are currently seeking an individual for the position of Media Relations Intern in Edinburg, TX.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Assist to write and edit all press releases related to the organization’s, ticketing initiatives, community relations efforts and other off-the-field activities.
- Create and pitches story ideas related to the team, front office and business initiatives, community relations projects and off-the-field activities, with the goal of driving earned media coverage.
- Assist as a media liaison for the team’s at media interviews, community events and other initiatives as assigned.
- Represent the RGV Vipers and Toros and accompany players at community, corporate and media events in the Valley area as needed.
- Assist with the team’s efforts in monitoring, tracking and valuation of earned media coverage.
- Assist in editing game notes for each team prior to every game.
- Work all home games and various road games.
- Assist peers within the communications department at RGV Vipers and Toros home games and related venue events as available and assigned.
- The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience working with major social media platforms (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat)
- Availability to work nights, weekends and odd hours as required by team and event schedules
- Fluency in Spanish is a strong plus, but not a requirement
- Knowledge of basketball and soccer is required
- Passionate – Loves the job and the organization; has a contagious effect; puts the organization first and is willing to make sacrifices
- Motivated – Self-driven and inspired; takes initiative and delivers results
- Organized – Understands how to manage his or her own time well, and how to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Communicator – Delivers written and verbal messages in a clear and concise fashion; knows what needs to be said, when to say it and how to say it
- People Person – Enjoys being around and meeting new people, and is comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Detail Oriented – Pays attention to the small details in projects; is committed to delivering high-quality, error-free work products
- Solution Oriented – Recognizes issues and takes the responsibility to proactively resolve them
- Accountable – Takes ownership for areas of responsibility and associated business results; addresses issues so that they do not reoccur
- Competitive – Wants to win and be the best in everything; achieves maximum success – individually and for the whole team
- Confident – Demonstrates belief in self and the organization and conveys that self-assurance to others internally and externally
- Team player – Works well with all departments and is open to creative suggestions
Education and Experience:
- Working towards or have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of 1 year of communications or public relations experience with a professional or collegiate team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Move in a fast-paced environment that will occasionally be loud.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by the company from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the entertainment industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the team or facility
*We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.*